The Office of HIV/AIDS Housing in HUD’s Office of Community Planning and Development (CPD) instituted The Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (or HOWPA) program and was established in 1990. Created in the AIDS Housing Opportunities Act, a part of the Cranston-Gonzales National Affordable Housing Act; the main purpose of this program is to provide housing assistance and related supportive services for low-income persons living with HIV/AIDS and their families.
It also facilitates community efforts to develop comprehensive strategies to address HIV/AIDS housing need and assists communities to create housing strategies to prevent these individuals from becoming homeless or unstably housed. With improvements in drug therapies and medical care reducing the number of deaths, people are living longer with HIV/AIDS; therefore, there is an increasing demand for essential supportive services, including housing.
Please note that Nevada’s Office of HIV only provides
HOPWA assistance in northern Nevada, specifically Washoe County.
Click here for Office of HIV program contact.
HOPWA assistance for Las Vegas is handled by the City of Las Vegas.
Click here for program information.
Click here for Provider List.
- State of Nevada Office of HIV Guidelines for HOPWA
- COVID Program Guidance
- HUD Exchange
- Virtual Inspections and Intake, Initial & Annual Certifications
- CPD Income Eligibility Calculator
- HOPWA Income Limits
- CPD-22-15: Carbon Monoxide Alarms or Detectors in HOPWA-Assisted Housing
Five-year Consolidated Plans:
Annual Action Plans:
- 2023 Open for Public Comment
- Annual Action Plan (DRAFT) – close date: April 30, 2023
- 2022 Open for Public Comment
- Annual Action Plan (DRAFT) – close date: July 1, 2022
- 2021 Open for Public Comment
- Annual Action Plan (DRAFT) – close date: May 4, 2021
Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER) – July 1 – June 30:
- 2021 Public Notice – Open Comment through September 19, 2022
- 2020 Public Notice – Open Comment through September 20, 2021
- 2019 Public Notice – Open Comment through December 25, 2020