Nevada’s Ryan White Programs Resource Directory
What Are Some Questions People Typically Ask During Their First Visit With An HIV Care Provider?
People newly diagnosed with HIV infection have many questions. If you’ve just tested HIV positive you may have some of the following questions:
- Because I have HIV, will I eventually get AIDS?
- What can I do to stay healthy and avoid getting other infections?
- How can I prevent passing HIV to others?
- How will HIV treatment affect my lifestyle?
- How should I tell my partner that I have HIV?
- Is there any reason to tell my employer and those I work with that I have HIV?
- Are there support groups for people with HIV?
Many people find it helpful to write down questions before a medical appointment. Some people bring a family member or friend to their HIV appointments to remind them of questions to ask and to write down the answers.